Saturday, July 5, 2014

Independence Day Reverie

Shots from a short ride yesterday -- the 4th -- up to Atkins Reservoir in the North Amherst hills.

I'm not always proud to be an American, but I try to be. When I ride in the heart of old New England, it comes naturally (pun intended). I've always felt more aligned with those rebel poets, the Transcendentalists, than any party or movement around today. The fact that I live in the very cradle of that movement is a good fit for me.

Some things about America are indelibly good: Nature. Jazz music. Revolutionary spirituality and poetry. Baseball. Vintage cars. Watermelon on a hot day.

Three cheers for the Red, White, and Blue!


Classic rolling farmland and farm animals

A poet's seat and a place to lean your bike whilst contemplating...

…the pastoral peace and beauty.

No comments: