Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Last Word on Knees

LinkI've become something of a connoisseur of articles on knees. You know -- that concatenation of bone, ligament, muscle and tendon that separates your shins from your thighs? Endurance athletes tend to have a lot of trouble with 'em. I'm certainly no exception, as Velophoriacs know too well from early posts here, detailing part of my odyssey with knee issues.

In my Firefox bookmarks folder, I must have over forty articles on knees: Physiology, strengthening, stretching, self-massage, blah, blah, blah. But ever since I recently bought a nice pair of running shoes and started fooling around with trying to run again, I've done a bunch of research on knees in the running literature. That's when I found this gem. I was surprised; I'm disappointed by Runner's World's tendency to print quickie sidebars entitled something like, "Five Tips for Joint Health." Useless. Nonetheless, this full-length piece is the best (and most enjoyable) summary of all the thinking, past, present and cutting edge, about knees I have read so far.

If you have any good ones yourself, feel free to post in the comments section.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sweetheart has occasional knee trouble, and is starting to train again. Didn't yet get a chance to read this, but I'm hoping it will be valuable. Thanks for sharing it!

Harry said...

NOL, if your sweetheart wants to compare notes... I have way too many thoughts on the matter! For me, the main trouble has been patellar femoral pain syndrome (much better these days) and ITBS.